Clift Rodgers Free Library and Consignment Shop

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Fall of Giants

Fall Of Giants by Ken Follett
Published by Dutton in 2010

Given that my preferred genre is historical fiction and that one of my favorite historical epics of all times, Pillars of the Earth was written by Ken Follett, I expected to love this book as well.
Fall of Giants covers a dramatically changing historical landscape. It includes World War I, a burgeoning class warfare, the errosion of the aristocratic class and the birth of the Russian Revolution. This 985 page book unfolds with the threat of war, follows the course of that war through to its conclusion. We are reminded of how the Allies dealt with Germany at the end of World War I, setting up for the rise of
Hitler and the second World War. Written as the first installment of a trilogy, it follows American, English, German Russian and Welsh characters. The second book will begin with World War II and pick up where
these characters have left off. The next book is expected later this year.

The book reads in many ways as a collection of personal accounts during the turn of the century and the early 1900's. With fictionalized characters fleshing out the human element of these events it still felt like reading an Introduction to Western Civilization review course. With a large cast of colorful characters and the need to cover each nation's perspective on the unfolding events, only a cursory review of these complicated times was attempted. While sticking with his successful formula of juicy romances, personal conflicts and dramatic world events, Follett seemed at times to gloss over or speed through many events. I always looked forward to picking up the book each time, wondering what would become of each of the characters. It's true to say that they were sufficiently interesting for me to feel invested in their eventual fates. Overall, I did feel somewhat let down by the cursory treatment of these characters and seemed too aware of their role of plot advancement.

Despite it's size and massive historic scope, I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to those who enjoy historical fiction, particularly of this time period. My largest criticisms are reserved for the over ambitious coverage of events and the relatively short shrift given to the lives of the main characters. Ultimately, Fall of Giants, is fiction. As a work of fiction, I felt Mr. Follett could have struck a better balance in creating interesting characters
with greater detail while still keeping the historical plot line advancing.


My next review will be on The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng. Weinstein Books, 2008. I don't know if CRL has this book but I plan on donating my copy.

Marlon

1 comment:

  1. Thank, Marlon! For an honest review. I too loved Pillars of the Earth and look forward to reading this one. Did anyone watch the mini series?

    ReplyDelete